OPTIMIZING YOUR CERT BACKPACK
When I got home from my CERT class, everything was just crammed into the backpack.
I wanted to see what all I had as well as rearrange the pack to make it easier to use.
SUGGESTION: Dump out your new CERT Pack on the floor, follow along, and do some organizing.
You won't have time for it in an emergency, plus, you will look like a real dummy trying to do it while people are waiting for you.
I did add a few things*, but these items should all fit in your CERT pack and still weigh only about 8½ pounds.
Build the packages below, then:
- Put the TOOLS Green bag in first, up one side.
- Then the FIRST AID Orange bag up the other side.
- Then the HARDHAT PACK on top of everything and zip that compartment shut.
- Then put the other items in their respective pockets and zip them.
Mine fit. Did yours? You might have to squish bags 1&2 to conform to the backpack. Just don't break anything.
If the zip bags stay too inflated, poke a small hole in them so they can "exhale". OR, be sure to squish out all the air before you zip them.
Here are the groups that go into the MAIN PACK:
(Click on a picture to see what I mean.)
||TOOLS BAG (Green Camp Bag*)
- 4-in-1 Emergency Tool
- Adjustable Wrench
- Multi-Tool in belt pouch
- Duct Tape (get new big roll* and replace annually. They get gooey in time & heat. Keep it in its own zip bag.)
- Crank Flashlight* (never needs batteries)
- Light Stick(s)
- 6-in-1 Screwdriver*
- Disposable Lighter* (you might need to start a campfire)
- Heavy-duty 55gallon Contractor's Garbage Bag* (many uses including shelter and poncho)
|FIRST AID BAG (Orange Camp Bag*)
Sort your First Aid Supplies into zip bags
Get zip STORAGE or FREEZER bags (they are thicker) with sliders (without can be difficult to open especially with cold or wet hands)
(Simplify! you don't want to deal with a bag inside a bag inside a bag...)
- Adhesive Bandages all sizes in one zip bag
- Absorbent Bandages all sizes in one zip bag
- Miscellaneous, Alcohol Wipes, Bandage Scissors*, Emergency Blanket (leave wrapped until you need it)
Prepare your hardhat
Pack the following IN the hardhat.....
- Install and adjust the suspension unit (inside straps)
- Install and adjust the chin strap.
- Use permanent felt marker to print your first initial and last name on the back of the helmet using at least 1" letters
- Safety Vest (put it on and adjust it for a good fit, then remove, fold, and stash it in your helmet.)
- Goggles or Safety Glasses (in zip bag so they stay clean and un-scratched)
- Work Gloves (on top of stack to protect the goggles)
|Then the items in the pockets on the pack.....|
||BIG TOP-OUTSIDE "OFFICE" POCKET ON PACK
- Steno Notebook*
- Pocket Notebook*
- Mechanical Pencils*
- Lumber Crayon (Orange or Red to show up on various colors of house siding))
- Permanent felt markers (black and red)*
- Personal Phone Book*
- Extra Quart and Gallon Zip Bags*
||LITTLE TOP-OUTSIDE BACK POCKET ON PACK
- CERT Lanyard w/ID Badge (1 badge on lanyard for around your neck plus 1 badge in the dongle on your pack
- Whistle (put it on your lanyard with your ID badge)
- Compass* (could also be attached to lanyard)
- Emergency Poncho (leave wrapped until you need it)
||BOTTOM OUTSIDE BACK POCKET ON PACK
- N95 Respirators (Dust Mask) (You should have 2 or 3... they do get nasty) Be sure they are marked "NIOSH N95"
- "Rubber Gloves" Get the type you need (vinyl or latex) and put a dozen pairs in a zip bag
- Extra Zip bags for waste*
- Hand Sanitizer*
||RIGHT SIDE MESH POUCH ON PACK
- Bottle of drinking water* (don't add flavor unless you are going to drink it right away.)
||LEFT SIDE POCKET ON PACK
- Personal needs ie: spare glasses, medications*
- Pocket Notebook*
- Mechanical Pencil*
- Miniature LED Headlight*
- Energy Bars*
- Kleenex Pocket Packs* (compact and can be used as toilet paper)
- Container of quarters for phone or vending machines or laundromat* (11dram pill bottle holds $9.50)
This is experimental up to this point. What did I forget?
* SHOPPING LIST (Suggested items, where I bought them, and approximate prices)
1 Nylon Camp Bags Walmart $4.49 pkg of 3
2 Zip Storage Bags QT Dollar General $2.00 box of 32
3 Zip Storage Bags GAL Dollar General $2.00 box of 23
4 Contractor's Garbage Bag Walmart $? box of 15
5 Disposable Lighter Local Gas Station $0.50 each
6 Duct Tape Walmart $?
7 Bandage Scissors ? $?
8 Compass Walmart $? each
9 6-in-1 Screwdriver Do-It-Best Hardware $? each
10 Crank Flashlight ? $?
11 LED Head Light Dollar General $4.00 each
12 Hand Sanitizer Dollar General $1.00 each 1.5oz
13 Vinyl Exam Gloves eBay $8.65 box of 100
14 7-day Dual Pill Box Dollar General $1.50 each
15 Energy Bars Dollar General $2.96 box of 6 double pouches
16 Kleenex Pocket Packs ? $?
17 Mechanical Pencils Dollar General $? pkg of 10
18 Permanent Markers Walmart $?
19 Pocket Notebooks Dollar General $? each
20 Steno Notebook Dollar General $? each
21 Personal Phone Book Dollar General $? each
All comments welcome to email@example.com.